Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Wave Motion and Mime


I've been trying to figure out how to upload a video, but I don't seem to be able to capture the files the way I'd like to. Instead I get a still, but not the file. Any advice would be welcome.

This animation of a ball floating on a wave is pretty cool. Right after I was playing around with it, I was part of a showcase of performing artists who are preparing summer ocean/water programs for Connecticut libraries, and this wonderful mime, Robert Rivest, was there.

Here, he's body-surfing. But at the session, he did a mime where he WAS an ocean wave. The action of his shoulders was exactly like the ball going over the wave in the animation, which made me realize that in order to BE a wave, Robert had to study waves. How should he lift, how should he fall, what kind of buoyancy should he demonstrate, how fast should he sink. Same with the body-surfing, right?

You could have students use animations of scientific principles involving the ocean to research mime or dance movements they could use to demonstrate and describe the principles to others.

OKAY, that's enough from me for now. Plenty more where that came from (I've got pages full of ideas -- but want to know whether I'm headed in the right direction.) These may become the slides (and commentary) for some of the Powerpoint, yes? -- KRY

No comments:

Post a Comment